Monday, November 17, 2008

Marathon Cooking

I am a big fan of freezer meals - the kind you assemble ahead of time and require little work on the day you serve them. I've been known to frequent Let's Dish and love the variety of meals I bring home after only two hours of "work." Don't Panic - Dinner's in the Freezer is one of several books that helps you prepare freezer meals at home.

Yesterday my sister-in-law and I spent 5 hours preparing four different entrees. We tripled every recipe so that we would have 9 servings of each dish. When she and my brother had to go home I finished a fifth recipe. After 6 hours of standing on the ceramic kitchen floor, I was walking like a 90-year-old woman. But, I think it was definitely worth it. I literally have weeks' worth of quick meals that only require enough foresight to thaw them a day ahead of when I want to serve them. Not to mention, they're healthy. And, my "food tester for a lifetime" sampled one of the meals for dinner last night and went back for seconds!

What did we make? Chicken Tortilla Soup, North Woods Wild Rice Soup, cheese-filled manicotti, egg bake with hashbrowns and Canadian bacon, and honey porkchops. I will post pictures as I serve each for the first time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to note that I helped by watching you cook and by suggesting that we order pizza.

I do what I can.