Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Hungry Girl

I was introduced to the Hungry Girl site by a co-worker a couple years ago. It provides all kinds of tips and recipes for light eating based on Weight Watchers guidelines. The site's creator, Lisa Lillien, provides points values for all of her recipes as well. I receive a daily Hungry Girl e-newsletter featuring recipes, new healthy grocery items, and other great info.

I planned this week's dinner menu using mostly Hungry Girl recipes. So far I have made three of them with basically good results. (I am so lucky my permanent taste-tester is willing to try almost anything once.)

Monday night I made Hungry Girl Onion rings. It's a recipe I would definitely try again with some minor modifications. I used my mini food processor to grind up the cereal, which I will not do again. A full-size food processor is necessary to make the crumbs fine enough. I added some garlic powder, salt, and pepper, but not enough. (I have a fear of over-seasoning things, which usually results in under-seasoning.) I served the onion rings with veggie burgers on grilled sandwich thins. For dessert, I made another Hungry Girl recipe, Peaches 'n Cream Microwave Cupcakes. I substituted banana for the peaches, and the flavor was good. I think I over-mixed the batter slightly and probably could have cut the microwave time by 15 seconds. The recipe was super easy, and I will try this one again too.

Tonight I made Hungry Girl Pot Pie. (Pictured above.) I used two whole chicken breasts and four crescent rolls instead of the recommended three. I also added garlic powder, minced onion, and pepper to the veggie mixture. Finally, I sprinkled some Lawry's salt on the tops before baking. I consider this one the best success of the week, and Mr. Taste-Tester agreed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It all looks good. You are so ambitious!

JE