Thursday, January 15, 2009

Simplify

Having combined households with my roommate for eternity one year ago, it quickly became clear that I accumulate too much stuff. Having to pack and move all of that stuff recently further inspired me to want to simplify what I have.

Why do I need to collect a 3-inch stack of recipes from the internet when I get a great cooking magazine ten times a year and own dozens of cookbooks? Why should I buy another cross stitch pattern when I have drawers full of patterns that haven’t been started or are half done? Why do I keep going to the library, coming home with a stack of books I couldn’t possibly read in the allotted time when I have an entire bookshelf filled with owned books that are yet to be read?

But internet recipes are free! Library books are free! (Until you get into one that you can’t finish by the due date and rack up a bunch of overdue fees.) The cross stitch pattern is so cute and I might forget where I found it, and I got such a great deal on eBay! Of course, one runs into the obvious issues of shrinking storage space, lack of organization, and, sometimes, a shrinking checking account – all of which can drive a person crazy. But for me it goes beyond that.

It may sound like I have some kind of collecting and shopping addiction, but the real reason behind all of this is that there is so much to do and learn. I have a hard time passing up those opportunities despite the fact that I usually don’t get to take advantage of the last opportunity before I accumulate the next one. Then I find myself accumulating so many “opportunities” that I have even less time for doing. Additionally, life has taught me that there are definite benefits to “not doing” sometimes. Being busy every waking moment of the day is not conducive to self-reflection or maximizing the impact of your experiences.

So, this year I have resolved to collect less and experience more. I will cook only from cookbooks and recipes I currently possess. I will focus on reading the books on my bookshelves instead of the library’s. I will finish half-completed craft projects and start new ones from my existing stash. And, throughout my day, I will do my best to focus on the present and gain all that I can from each moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your idea of simplifying, but I don't think I could go "cold turkey" like you are :)

I'd probably strike a deal to reward myself with a new experience (book, pattern, etc.) for every 2 or 3 current projects that I finish.

I agree on recipes - they can stack up so quickly!