Tuesday, October 21, 2008

First Appearance of the Tuesday Thingers

As I have learned from reading other blogs, Marie at The Boston Bibliophile asks a book-related question each week...on Tuesday, if that wasn't obvious :-)

Today's question: Series. Do you collect any series? Do you read series books? Fantasy? Mystery? Science fiction? Religious? Other genre? Do you use the series feature in LT to help you find new books or figure out what you might be missing from a series?

The only series I have collected are those that hold fond childhood memories. These are series that have been reprinted several times, but when I buy them, they must be the editions I read when I was young. I own the complete Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder- the ones with the yellow-bordered covers. I actually never got past "Little House in the Big Woods" when I was young, but I LOVED the tv series. Someday I will actually read the books that inspired it.

I also own most of the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary. Now these are books I read multiple times. A few years ago I learned that there was a new addition to the series, "Ramona's World," that didn't exist when I was actively following them. I checked it out from the library and read the whole thing in an hour or two. I remember spending multiple days on one of these as an elementary student! I must admit the last installment did not live up to my memories of the earlier ones, but the memories are comforting and maybe, one day, my not-yet-existent daughter will Ramona's escapades as entertaining as I once did.

I cannot think of any current series I have collected. All the Harry Potter books I've read have come from the library, as have most of Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta mysteries. Somehow it's easiest to justify spending the money on the tangible reminders of days passed.

As for LibraryThing, I am new to it and haven't used many of the features yet.







No comments: