Saturday, October 25, 2008

October's Book Collection (so far)

This month, as usual, my TBR pile has grown much faster than my finished books pile. First, from the library, I have accumulated and already once renewed 5 books:

  1. The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories, which I thought would be a fun way to get in the Halloween spirit.
  2. The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. I have never read anything by Margaret Atwood and I figured it was about time.
  3. Affinity by Sarah Waters. I read Fingersmith earlier in the year and really liked it. I have less than 100 pages left to go in this one, but it is due after Edgar Sawtelle, so it's on the back burner for the moment.
  4. Oracle Night by Paul Auster. I read The New York Trilogy in August and my enjoyment of it grew with each installment. I've read elsewhere that some believe Oracle Night is the best introduction to Auster, so I thought it would be a good second foray into his work.
  5. Cooking Among Friends. I love the convenience of cooking once and ending up with several different meals in the freezer. This is a cookbook that contains freezer meal recipes to make in large quantities and share among households. I will have a chance to test some of them out next weekend. Review to come!


    In addition to the library pile, I have accumulated some books without a due date at very little cost:
  1. Faith of My Fathers by John McCain. This has much less to do with my political leaning than it does with my interest in the experiences that have led him to this point in life.
  2. The Wednesday Letters by Jason Wright. A $1 find at the library book sale.
  3. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Persig. $2 at a charity garage sale, and I've never read it.
  4. Spilling Clarence by Anne Ursu My first mooch from Bookmooch!
  5. Coming to Our Senses by Jon Kabat Zinn. Another $2 find a the charity garage sale.
  6. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. I saw the movie but have yet to read the book. Another $1 library sale find.
  7. An Instance of the Fingerpost by Ian Pears. My final $1 library book sale find.

    After a 3-day work trip, I'm 200 pages in to the Story of Edgar Sawtelle. I've been able to read about 50 pages at a time without falling asleep...rare for me!

No comments: